The Ugly Truth About Toxic Nail Polish

Posted by on

Chances are, if you ask a group of people what "clean living" means, you'll get a whole slew of different answers. The most common responses will range from being conscious about consuming food, using certain household products, or following specific sustainable rituals. While being more vigilant about food is probably the most popular response, being mindful of the products you put on your skin follows at a very close second. 

The largest, fastest-growing organ

The skin is our largest, fastest-growing organ (making up more than ten percent of our body mass) and our barrier between our body's systems and the outside world. As we know, harmful toxins can enter our body through food consumption and chemicals we encounter (on purpose and by accident). With our skin being one of the most absorbent organs in our bodies, 60% of what we apply to it is given a first-class ticket straight into our bloodstream. 

The damage of harmful chemicals 

It's easy to forget that our fingernails and toenails are also made up of skin cells that absorb toxins the same way the skin does. That's why (sorry, mani and pedi lovers!) using nail polish that's riddled with harmful chemicals is not the best representation of clean living. In fact, fingernail polish is one of the most toxic beauty products out there, made up of Dibutyl Phthalates, Toluene, Camphor, Xylene, Formaldehyde, Triphenylphosphate, Colophonium, Organic Halides, and Silicone. Now, that's a lot of technical terms that we don't expect you to know off the top of your head. Let's look at it differently. 

These ingredients can cause liver, kidney, and nerve damage and cause miscarriages, reproductive system issues, allergic reactions, asthma, nausea, and development irregularities. 

These ingredients can: 

  • Cause liver, kidney, and nerve damage
  • Harm your reproductive system
  • Produce allergic reactions, asthma, and nausea
  • Create development irregularities
  • Cause miscarriages

Chemicals used in fire retardants and plastic hardeners

If that's not reason enough, based on a study performed by Duke University and The Environmental Working Group, researchers tested 26 women who had recently gotten their nails painted. What they found was evidence of Triphenyl Phosphate in every participant. Why is this concerning? First, we want to point out that TPHP is only one of the toxic chemicals in nail polish, but let's just focus on it. TPHP, which is known to cause hormone regulation changes, metabolism, and reproductive systems, is also commonly used as a fire retardant in furniture and a hardener in plastic goods. Would you knowingly inject such a product into your body?

The 10 Free Chemistry Promise 

10 Free Chemistry cares what you put on your skin. Our 10+ Free Commitment means all of our nail polish is free of the harmful chemicals mentioned above. We're proud to share our revolutionary non-toxic nail polish formulas with you so that you can feel confident the next time you're asked what clean living means to you.

← Older Post Newer Post →

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published